Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Eye and Cardinal [By Tony Tasset]





Eye and Cardinal ..
By Chicago artist, Tony Tasset..
Temporary Exhibit: From July to October, 2010..
Location: Pritzker Park, at the corner of State and Van Buren.
There's also a banner installation of "Cardinal", along the State Street..

Hmmm, I'm not too sure about my reaction..
I think I will like it, or maybe I already like it..
Although I would understand when some find it creepy and an eye-sore.. But I think Tony Tasset makes some fun, amusing sculptures. This odd eyeball, provides a good break from the banal, mundane walk on the streets. It sure is an attention grabber. One cannot just pass-by without noticing. It will definitely make the eye-balls roll! Another spot for family-portraits and self-portraits..
And what I like the most is that it's by a Chicago artist!




The marker reads..
Eye and Cardinal is funded by Chicago Loop Alliance, which is the service provider to the State Street Special Service Area. The SSA funds landscapes, cleaning, infrastructure maintenance, holiday decoration and marketing of State Street..

Some days back, I saw it's insallation in progress. The 30-foot tall, giant eyeball made of fiberglass and steel and modeled after his own eyes..












Tony Tasset's other installation I've seen is the "Blob Monster" at Artropolis, 2010.. click here..



2 comments:

chachamisu said...

this artist has made amazing works, beside this eye, my fave are skeletal chandeliers and blob monster

Anonymous said...

Hello! I know this is kind of off topic but
I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble finding one?
Thanks a lot!

Here is my web page Visit Website