South of the Rotunda is the National Statutory Hall, also known as the Old Hall of the House. It's semi-circular, two-story hall. It's one of the earliest examples of Greek revival architecture in America.
Of the many statues on display here, only two were commissioned for display in the original Hall of the House..
- Liberty and the Eagle - by Enrico Cosini
- Car of History Clock - by Carlo Franzoni
By Carlo Franzoni
Clio, the Muse of History, stands in a winged chariot representing the passage of time and records events as they occur. The car rests on a marble globe on which signs of the Zodiac are carved in relief. The chariot wheel is the face of the clock; its works are by Simon Willard.
By Enrico Causici
Plaster / 1817-1819..
Placed between 1817 and 1819, this group originally stood above the Speaker's desk when the House of Representatives met in this space. An American eagle stands to Liberty's right, and the scroll in her right hand is the Constitution of the United States. To her left a serpent, the symbol of wisdom, is entwined around a section of a column..
When the House of Representatives moved into its new larger chamber and the old vacant chamber became a thoroughfare between the Rotunda and the House wing. In 1864, Representative Justin Morrill, proposed make this hall as a National Statuary Hall, which became a law on July 2, 1864. It provides that...
... the President is hereby authorized to invite each and all the States to provide and furnish statues, in marble or bronze, not exceeding two in number for each State, of deceased persons who have been citizens thereof, and illustrious for their historic renown or for distinguished civic or military services such as each State may deem to be worthy of this national commemoration; and when so furnished the same shall be placed in the Old Hall of the House of Representatives, in the Capitol of the United States, which is set apart, or so much thereof as may be necessary, as a national statuary hall for the purpose herein indicated.
Initially all the statues were palced in the National Statutory Hall. Later to avoid overcrowding, statues were distributed in the Capitol Bldg., mainly Hall of Columns and The Capitol Visitor Center..
Below are some statues in the Capitol Visitor Center..