The plaques on the statues incorrectly spell Pyrrha as "Pyrrah."
Excerpt from the Virtual Tour [UIUC].. click here
Lorado Taft created these statues, and Walter Zimmerman, a Chicago sculptor, carved them in 1933 out of Indian limestone...
Pyrrha was the daughter of Epimetheus and Pandora. Pyrrha, the first mortal-born woman married her cousin, Deucalion, and survived the Flood with him. Her daughters were Pandora and Thyla; each had children by Zeus. There are companion sculptures, "Sons of Deulcalion," which can be found on the south side of Foellinger Auditorium. The statues were a gift in 1937 from Mrs. Ada Taft. They stand in front of the east entrance.
Excerpt from the marker..
The ancient Greek myth of Deucalion and his wife Pyrrha, the only survivors of a great flood, inspired this central portion of the unfinished Fountain of Creation. An oracle instructed the couple to throw their mother's bones over their shoulder in order to repopulate the earth. They threw stones, the bones of mother earth, which sprang to life.
Taft's clustered figures emerge from a stony background in poses that recall motifs from Michelangelo's unfinished sculpture, specifically the Battle of Lapiths and Centaurs reliefs at the Casa Buonarroti in Florence.