Chicago Stock Exchange Entrance Arch ..
Designed by Louis Sullivan .
The east entrance of the Art Institute of Chicago is marked by the stone arch entrance to the old Chicago Stock Exchange. Designed by Louis Sullivan in 1894, the Exchange was torn down in 1972, but salvaged portions of the original trading room were brought to the Art Institute and reconstructed.
The upper spandrels of the arch are two commemorative medallions, four feet in diameter. The left medallion depicts the house of P.F.W. Peck, the first structure on this site. The right medallion originally carried the legend: "The First Brick Building Built in Chicago Was Built upon This Site". As the Stock Exchange was nearing completion, this was discovered to be untrue, and the right medallion was replaced with the date "1893," the year construction began.
# Also check out the origianl Chicago Stock Exchange Trading Room.. at the Art Institute.. click here..
For more on.. [click on the link]..
# The Art Institute of Chicago...
REF: Chicago Stock Exchange Arch or Louis Sullivan Arch.. click here..