Monday, April 9, 2012
Indianapolis [Pan and Syrinx - by Roger White and Adolph Wolter ]
By Roger White [American, b. 1929]
2005 / bronze, limestone pedestal
approx. 30 x 14 x 19 inches..
Pan is playing his pipes for his companion, Syrinx, who is located on the other side of the DePew Memorial Fountain. The original Pan sculpture was a drinking fountain created by Myra Reynolds Richards in 1923. Both Pan and Syrinx disappeared in 1930. In 1973 Adolph Wolter was commissioned to replace the two with design of his own. Shortly after Wolter's sculptures were installed, Pan was stolen again. In 1980 White was commissioned to produce a third Pan, which disappeared in 2004. In 2005, White created the fourth sculpture of Pan to be installed in this location.
Pan and Syrinx
Pan - by Roger White 
Syrinx - by Adolph Wolter 
Pan playing his pipes for his companion Syrinx..
Syrinx listening to the call of the pipes played by Pan, her companion..
by Adolph Wolter [ 1903-1980, German- American]
1973 / bronze, limestone pedestal
27 x 16 x 13 in..
Syrinx, a nymph from Greek mythology, is shown listening to the call of the pipes played by Pan, her companion, who is located on the other side of the DePew Memorial Fountain. Originally sculpted by Myra Reynolds Richards, Syrinx and Pan were dedicated in 1923. The pieces disappeared in 1970s and Wolter was commissioned to replace them with his own designs.
Wolter, who was born in Reutlinger, Germany, immigrated to Minneapolis in 1922. He moved to Indianapolis in 1933 to carve sculptural reliefs for the Indiana State Library and Historical Building. Wolter graduated from Herron School of Art and taught in the sculpture department in the Indianapolis Art League, now the Indianapolis Art Center.
DePew Memorial Fountain